Patrick GordonParish Councillor
- How long have you been a councillor, in years? (If less than one year confirm the month and year you started)?
I began taking an interest in becoming a councillor around March 2017, and started attending monthly meetings as a member of the public from April. I was officially co-opted onto the Council in the September 2017 monthly meeting, and have held the post since then.
- What is your technical/professional/work-related background?
I hold an LLB and LPC and it is my ambition to qualify as a solicitor.
- How long have you lived in Crofton?
Since September 1999.
- What is your favourite thing about Crofton?
I love how Crofton is surrounded by natural beauty and lovely walks, but at the same time is well connected to Wakefield city centre, which in turn is well connected to many other local cities. One key benefit of this is that Crofton still retains an active community life, something easily lost in more developed areas.
- Why did you decide to become a councillor?
I have always had an interest in politics and political affairs, whilst also being community minded. The role of a councillor joins these interests together perfectly.
- What do you enjoy most about being a councillor?
I enjoy engaging with a wide variety of new and technical subjects in a high level of detail, as well as the opportunities to advance and advocate for the interests of the residents of Crofton.
- What, in your opinion, are the key qualities of a councillor?
Councillors must be community-minded and approachable, be good advocates and be opinionated to an extent as matters are by their nature political, a good team player, proactive in spotting how community life can be improved, and assertive yet accommodating in putting forward their personal views.
- One thing you have learnt about the role of a councillor/council operations?
As the lowest level of government, matters are more micro than macro in nature, which means it is important to understand and retain knowledge of local matters in detail.
- What are your specific areas of interest in the council’s operations (this can cover things you have direct responsibility for (e.g. through a working party) or interest in any other areas (e.g. new parish centre, biodiversity, HS2))
I am particularly interested in digital communication with residents, which is why I have proposed a working party to focus on this. I am also interested in how the council works with the police and young people to help enhance community life.
- What would you like to see the council do more of in the future?
I am particularly interested in how the council can engage with the younger generation of residents in Crofton, both digitally and in person, as I believe this is an area of important growth.
Some latest news to appear here
rem ipsum dolor sit amet, illum feugiat ullamcorper an eos, mea reque justo zril ut. Eam tamquam argumentum conclusionemque ne, ex pri sumo tamquam salutatus. Alii mollis scripserit usu ne. Ipsum mollis vel ne. Ea his error principes similique. Mel ei oblique impedit corrumpit.